These are not the best of times for the Delta State Accountant-General, Mr. Cyril
Chukwuma Agbele as the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is said to arrest Delta Accountant-General for allegedly siphoning from state funds, money laundering, amassing wealth and assets corruptly, worth running into billions of naira if the information at our disposal is anything to go by.
Dependable sources within Delta State government told our correspondent that Mr. Cyril Agbele would again be arrested following a petition written by a non-governmental organization against the alleged looter some time September last year and another one written by anti-corruption early this year.
In the said petition, the group
accused Mr. Agbele of pilfering huge sums of money from the Delta State treasury
using several companies to obtain contracts and approve funds for himself.
He is also said to have forced other contractors to pay as much huge sum in cash as upfront kickback to him before he processes their payment even after the governor’s approval.
It was alleged that Agbele has properties spread all over Delta State said to be worth over two billion naira and these include hotels, school, farms, fast food joints, petrol station and houses. He also boasts of countless number of exotic cars, an allegation Mr. Agbele has not controveted for the past five months.
“The huge fraud and collection of kickback characterizes the office of the Accountant-General. It is expected that every contractor must be willing to part with at
least between 10-13 per cent of whatever is approved by the governor to any contractor upfront before such funds are approved for disbursement by the Accountant-General,” FOWN stated.
“We are aware of other civil servants of his level who only own modest houses which
are perfectly in line with their legal earnings and means. Even in rare cases where both the persons were top level civil servants, none is able to amass beyond 50 to 100% of their total salaries throughout their years of service.
“So how does Mr. Cyril Agbele who is on a fixed income live a lavish lifestyle buying
properties which only a few businessmen in Delta State can afford?” the petitioner
Mr. Cyril Agbele who is said to have allegedly bought house abroad located at 1010S 17th St, Copperas Cove, Texas, 76522 has formed the habit of jetting out of the Country to the States with his entire family every summer for holidays where he spends his annual three weeks leave. His children live in Newcastle, United Kingdom where they attend schools.
Listed below are few of the properties allegedly linked to Mr. Cyril Agbele:
- Three Duplexes at No. 3, Ezekwe Street, Off Obiajulu street, off DDPA, Asaba, Delta State, worth over N300,000,000.00 “furniture excluded”.
- Plot 13, Block 6, Opposite Junior Staff Quarters, DDPA Estate, Asaba.
Worth N150,000,000.00 Presently leased to Nigeria Institute of Medical Research.
- Nitika Fast food, DLA Road, Asaba.
- Ronec Petrol Station, DLA Road, Asaba worth N140,000,000.00 )
- A hotel seated on a 200m by 200m at No 9, Peter Obiagu Street, off Ibusa Road worth over N400,000,000.00 .
- Jostin Excel International School, Okpanam express, off Asaba/Benin express way presently valued at N200,000,000.00
- A multimillion naira twin duplex mansion at the Asaba Federal Housing Estate, opposite Asaba International Airport. (N250,000,000.00 )
- A multimillion naira students hostel off Asaba Ogwashi Road (N300,000,000.00)
- A multi-billion naira Hotel in Abuja
- A multi-million naira mansion in a highbrow area in Abuja
- A poultry farm with over (30,000 birds) and animal husbandry in Ubulu-uwku area in Asaba.
- Several hectares of Plantain Plantation on Kwale Road
- Two Toyota 4-Runner SUV’s (1 Green, Ash colour)
- Two Bullet Proof Toyota Land Cruiser SUV’s, (1 Silver, 1 Black)
- One White 2015 Toyota Camry
- One 2014 Honda Accord (Wine Red)
- One BMW X6 (Black)
- One Infinity QX56 (Silver)
- One Toyota Sienna (Black)
- Two Toyota Highlander SUV
- One Toyota Prado
- Two Toyota Hilux (White)
- A 3 Bedroom house at 1010S 17th St, Copperas Cove, Texas, 76522
- A mansion in Newcastle, United Kingdom. It was also revealed through the petition that recently, one of his house-helps, a Tiv
indigene, conspired with his wife’s brother, Frank Ugo and carted away
over $150,000 in cash, a case which Mr. Cyril failed to report to the police or any other agency as it would spark outrage and raise suspicion into his money laundering activities.
Efforts to reach Mr. Agbele for comments proved futile as when one of our correspondent visited his office at the old secreteriat, along Mariam Babaginda way, he was said to be away on official engagement and his staff attached rudely refused to avail our correspondent his cell phone number. We will report his version over the alleged ill-gotten wealth amass to himself